The Rough Guide to Serbia’s Law on Foreigners

by Limbic on October 25, 2009

I have finally uploaded the “Rough Guide to Serbia’s Law on Foreigners”.

It can be downloaded from here:

The document is should be called the”Very Rough Draft Guide to the Law on Foreigners”, but its a start.

The intention is to refine it into the authoritative guide to the legal requirements that foreigners and their hosts/employers must obey in Serbia.

I would very much appreciate any comments and feedback. Please bear in mind it is a first draft, but to make it into something useful and excellent, we will need harsh criticism and frank appraisals.

Email addresses for feedback are in the document, or feel free to comment here.

{ 4 comments… read them below or add one }

Nevena December 3, 2009 at 5:14 pm


Most of the foreigners don’t need visas to enter Serbia. Maybe you should update that part of your out of date (for probably 5 years) guide.




jd December 6, 2009 at 6:49 pm

@Nevana Aggression really does go with ignorance! You are factually wrong. When a foreigner arrives in Serbia they are issued a Tourist Visa. It is stamped into your passport. If they want to stay over 90 days, they need a temporary residence visa. This guide is based on the latest law, published 1st August 2009. You should take the time to get your facts right before dispensing advice.


Sam December 29, 2009 at 11:11 pm


First of all thank you for the guide! it has been a massive help.
I hope you can help me with a further question. I came to visit my girlfriend in Belgrade and I am now one month into my tourist Visa. I didn’t expect to want to stay but being here for the last month has changed my mind. I want to learn Serbian even though my girlfriends English is probably better than mine, as I think it is important to meet her family and be able to communicate ect.
So.. when reading the guild I saw this:
• Enroll in a school or university or get an academic position. Taking a
Serbian language course qualifies you.
My girlfriend works part time at a private English Language school in the town center; if I was to take a Serbian language course at that school would that mean I could then apply for a temporary Visa?
Or because it is a private language school would I have to look at public schools, colleges and universities.
And before you ask we have both talked about it and agreed that we are both too young to consider marriage at this time 🙂

Thank you for your help



jd January 4, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Hi Sam,

I think that any registered language school is sufficient, including private schools.

It might be worth having someone check for you or perhaps post this question on the forum here:


Leave a Comment