This presentation is a classic, one of the founding media of the Devops movement.
The summary of the presentation is the kernel of what we know as Devops today:
- Automated Infrastructure
- Shared version control
- One step build – code to set of files in one step
- One step deploy
- Shared metrics
- Use IRC and IM Robots (they use IRC and squirt logs and alerts into their IRC stream. Search engine indexes them.)
- Shared Run-books and Escalation plans
- Healthy attitude about failure – plan to respond, not just prevent. Fire drills.
- No finger-pointing and blame
The slides are here:
Also see Matt Zimmerman’s excellent post on Devops and Cloud.